Wednesday, July 5, 2017

letter to the editor

As it appeared in today's very-local Daily Hampshire Gazette:
Like a lot of other preening liberals, I suspect, I never thought I would find myself applauding the deep-pocket funders of the Republican constituency currently in charge of ‘my’ country. But the other day, I couldn’t help but feel inspired. Doug Deason, an influential GOP Texas donor, declined in straightforward language, to write any more Republican-bound checks until those in power got something done.
“Get Obamacare repealed and replaced; get tax reform passed,” Deason said in an Associated Press story about his message to GOP leaders. “You control the Senate. You control the House. You have the presidency. There’s no reason you can’t get this done. Get it done and we’ll open it back up.”
Deason said he had encouraged nearly two dozen other check-writing donors to follow suit. It’s not that I agree with the Republican agenda which shows all the ritual signs of advantaging those whose advantages already make my head swim. It goes deeper than that. Briefly, I am sick of waking up in the morning and feeling that the greatness of my country is drip-drip-dripping away in the hands of a group of self-absorbed and well-heeled people who care about little and love even less.
I don’t need to agree with those in charge, but I would prefer to respect them. That is part of my country’s greatness – a sense that this land is not just some self-aggrandizing sandbox in which to make money and win applause and frighten people who are already frightened. It is nice to have a government that can do and not just undo. It is all so wearing, grinding, and dispiriting. But Mr. Deason has inspired me to get involved.
I have decided to supplement my retirement income and produce bumper stickers of the sort that remind people who’s in charge. First up, a slight twist on an old favorite: MAKE AMERICA GREAT — FOR A CHANGE. -- Adam Fisher

1 comment: