Friday, November 11, 2016

upscale disaster preparedness

The bomb shelters that enjoyed a certain cachet in the 1950's and 1960's are enjoying an upscale reincarnation in Texas among other places:
Developers intend to construct about 400 condos that have 90 percent of their living space underground. Most would cost in the mid-six figures and each topped with a terrace overlooking one of the lakes. The community could have as many as 1,600 residents who, should disaster strike, can rely on water and energy production that's off the grid. O'Connor said designs and concepts may change as the project progresses, but a navigable tunnel network and an air-purification system are planned.
As is a DNA vault. The vault is an opportunity for "family sustainability," said Richie Whitt, spokesman for Trident Lakes.... 
The standard luxury amenities will apply: 18-hole golf course, high-end spa, gun ranges, zip lines, shops and restaurants, and not just a single helipad but a row of them. But plans call for the 700-acre spread to also include an equestrian center, polo fields and 20-acre lakes with white-sand beaches. The entire compound will be wrapped by a 12-foot wall and have private security manning watchtowers. The project has received the necessary approvals, O'Connor said, and people are expected to take up residence in 2018.
The idea gives whack-a-mole a whole new perspective.

2 comments:

  1. The problem with living inside a walled zone with guard towers, is the uncertainty of who sits in those towers and what is their agenda. Security and prison are pretty tightly linked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)"

    You call me out upon the waters
    The great unknown where feet may fail
    And there I find You in the mystery
    In oceans deep
    My faith will stand

    And I will call upon Your name
    And keep my eyes above the waves
    When oceans rise
    My soul will rest in Your embrace
    For I am Yours and You are mine

    Your grace abounds in deepest waters
    Your sovereign hand
    Will be my guide
    Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
    You've never failed and You won't start now

    So I will call upon Your name
    And keep my eyes above the waves
    When oceans rise
    My soul will rest in Your embrace
    For I am Yours and You are mine

    [6x]
    Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
    Let me walk upon the waters
    Wherever You would call me
    Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
    And my faith will be made stronger
    In the presence of my Savior

    Oh, Jesus, you're my God!

    I will call upon Your name
    Keep my eyes above the waves
    My soul will rest in Your embrace
    I am Yours and You are mine

    ReplyDelete