Sunday, August 28, 2016

the exception/rule, rule/exception

Thinking about schooling yesterday, it occurred to me that almost every parent's premise is "my child is special." Perhaps it is woven into the DNA. It is, or may be, the rule: The rule being, my child is the exception.

Currently on the political stage, Donald Trump is the exception ... or anyway he is sometimes portrayed that way. But I think that Donald Trump may be more interesting not because he is the exception but because he is the rule... and that tar brush comes up and slaps me in the face.

The rule and the exception.

Funny the effects that occur when the word "exception" is substituted for the word "rule."

And vice-versa.

1 comment:

  1. My child is special to me. I imagine we're hard wired for that, to keep them alive.

    ReplyDelete