Thursday, August 18, 2016

Egypt calls out fat news anchors

Khadija Khattab wants viewers to judge whether she deserves to be suspended over her appearance
At least Egypt appears to be honest as it warns its female news presenters to present themselves without the flab.
[BBC] Egypt's state broadcaster has suspended eight of its female TV presenters and told them to go on a diet, sparking uproar among women's rights groups.
The Egyptian Radio and Television Union (ERTU) has given the women one month to slim down before they can appear on air again with an "appropriate appearance", the Al-Yawm al-Sabi website reports.
My understanding is that the TV camera tends to make people fatter than they are and that this is part of the reason female presenters/hosts can look anorexic up close and personal. There is, of course, the issue of whether big tits and deep cleavage can be associated with reliable news. I have no doubt that some cheese-dick Ph.D. candidate will run the numbers and let me know if I imagine a D cup gets a journalistic A+.

It also calls into question whether newsmen should be required to wear a well-plumped codpiece.

Silliness and outrage aside, I think there is an effect to a presentable TV presenter. Too pretty makes me leery same as too careless. I guess I should listen to the radio.

1 comment: