Saturday, August 22, 2015

not THAT crazy after all

All these years after the fact, I felt a wash of relief this morning: Someone is as crazy as I am (or was) so it's not all that unusual.

The instigator of this relief came in the form of a BBC article about a fellow who had constructed an elliptical pool table with a single hole.

While not precisely the craziness I nourished in college, it was close enough: At that time, I was crazy for billiards ... inept at math, but absolutely nuts for the game. I was so nuts that I would lie in bed prior to going to sleep at night and imagine hitting billiard balls around the walls of the room ... playing billiards in three dimensions ... calculating the spin and motion and direction and being endlessly fascinated. I never told anyone else ... it was just too crazy ... until this morning 55 years after the fact. What a strange relief.

I can't figure out how to embed the initial video that shows what's going on and I can't imagine anyone would take the interest that I did anyway. Here's a non-BBC youtube demonstration:


What a strange bit of relief.

1 comment:

  1. Dunno, in my youth, the table was rectangular, and the pitcher of beer was cylindrical, only the balls were round.

    ReplyDelete