Tuesday, February 25, 2014

partners in insanity

Out of the blue yesterday, there was an email from a friend I had gone to college with: He was reading my book, was enjoying it and was touched, he said.

I like surprises and Keith's email was a surprise: We're not generally in touch. But, on first reading his words, there was a voice that said, "Hunh? What book?" and then settled back into "Oh, OK. Now I remember." And I was flattered he was reading it ... and pleased that someone got enjoyment from something I had done.

I don't remember the book much. What I remember when I think of Keith is the snow-day in college when the two of us arrived at the college billiards room at 8 a.m. and did not leave until midnight when it closed up shop. We played three-cushion billiards ... for sixteen hours.

Three balls, no pockets, green-felt table top. There was some serious protocol involved ... where anyone stood, when talking was OK, how to approve your opponent's shot without saying a word.

Later I would win a first-place trophy in an all-college match. On that occasion, I happened to beat Keith.

But winning was never so much the point for us.

S-i-x-t-e-e-n hours.

We were nuts.

How nice it is, at any age, to find someone to be crazy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment