Sunday, May 5, 2013

soul food

It has been a long, long time since I received a present that surprised me in the way that a five-year-old might open some 'perfect' Christmas gift ... deeply grateful, delighted and full of imagine-that!

Yesterday, my daughter and her husband, who are visiting, cooked dinner. On the one hand, it was not a big deal, and yet I was melted: How long had it been since anyone gave me a home-cooked meal, one I did not have any hand in preparing?

I am not accustomed to such gifts... gifts that are just gifts. My vision is clearly skewed, but skewed vision is the farm I am stuck with ... a rare, delicious hot-damn that is worth all the tea in China.

What it was (steak, mashed potatoes, asparagus) did not matter. That it was overwhelmed me.

We sat outdoors and ate it.

Now it is gone, but the wonder still embraces me.

No comments:

Post a Comment