Friday, October 12, 2012

politics

.
I can't tell if it's a matter of age or laziness or common sense ....

With the presidential election less than a month away, the vice-presidential candidates were locked in 'debate' last night. Joe Biden and Paul Ryan did their thing where, a week earlier, President Barack Obama and presidential challenger Mitt Romney had done theirs. The media hung on every word, analyzed and prognosticated, and .... and what?

And if there is anything I have learned from this run-up to the election of the most powerful single man in the land it is a sense of somewhat guilty boredom based on past experience ... if not-talking turkey is the lesson that has been offered for six months or better, why now should it be much different and why should I care? I am somewhat ashamed of myself ... but not ashamed enough to keep walking into the same brick wall.

If someone offers you disrespect for long enough, it's probably time to assert your respect for yourself. And I consider it disrespectful, in economic hard times or any other, not to admit that no one can see the future but that, despite that, here is a specific plan that I hope might come to fruition. Specifically and with respect for all those who are likely to be affected.

As I say, I can't tell to what extent my reaction is based on my age or on living in an age when Twitter and Facebook foreshorten and twit-ify all discourse and thought processes or on plain old common sense. Whatever it is, I am tired of people telling me how important they are without showing me ... offering 'substantive' arguments that lack substance.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment