Saturday, September 1, 2012

vice is nice but ....


.
Mucking around in the basement last night, shuffling through old papers, I suddenly found myself staring at myself ... a lot of years and a lot of hair and a lot of idealism ago. Who was this stranger who appeared on Wednesday, June 7, 1972?


I'm not quite sure how I got out of it, but I managed to avoid going to the awards ceremony. I was working for the now-defunct [Springfield, Mass.] Daily News. I really didn't want to go to the ceremony. There was, at the time, something repugnant and incestuous about being given an award by the very industry you already worked for, an industry whose job was to report the news. I had not yet learned the wisdom of the old, if pungent, adage:

Vice is nice
But incest is best.

Looking in the mirror is sometimes odd.
.

2 comments: