Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"it can't get any worse"

.
Using slogans such as "it can't get any worse," a Brazilian clown beat down other candidates and won a resounding victory in an election for federal deputy in Sao Paulo. He beat his next nearest challenger by close to a 2-1 margin. He is now being challenged to prove he can read and write before assuming his seat.

"What does a federal deputy do?" Francisco Oliveira Silva asked in one of his ads. "Truly, I don't know. But vote for me and I will find out for you."

The frustration and anger of electorates around the world -- and even the frustration and anger of those who do not elect representatives -- is something to experience. Hard times and bald liars seem to make it all happen. But of course cynical smirking is not enough. Sarah Palin and others of her ilk might actually win ... and who would that benefit, whose frustration and anger might be assuaged in reality?

It's all sort of funny. And after that, it is increasingly sad.
.

4 comments:

  1. My teeth need something. Buts whats?

    Lips?

    Yeah.

    Another one?

    a nose?

    Smells good.

    A haircut?

    one

    more?

    to

    you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Brazil, but I do not vote, I'm just a resident. Even if I did have a vote, I don't live in Sao Paulo (but I will move there at the end of the year). Anyways, this is getting a lot of media attention. In this case, I think most people voted for Tiririca "as a joke" or "protest" vote and it ended up getting him elected. Look, if you think the US has messed up politics, you should take a look at Brazil. Collor de Melo, who was impeached as President came back to win an election as a senator in his state at one point. This past election he lost his run for governor. Corruption is rampant. Voting is compulsory here, and some people vote 0000 across the board, which "nullifies" their vote, but registers that showed up on voting day. Tiririca, which the English speaking media has translated as Grumpy, is actually a very popular comedian here. My kids love to watch his DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel -- Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to convey the notion that one country was any more or less prone to the anguish or idiocies of time and place. I was thinking more that any place might display the same characteristics ... the U.S., Brazil, Russia, China.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never took it that way. I only wanted to point out that politics can be messed up anywhere, and unfortunately the are REALLY messed up here in Brazil.

    ReplyDelete