Friday, October 8, 2010

first visit home

.
My older son reappeared on our doorstep last night after the first bit of his freshman year in college. It was his first visit "home."

Between his leaving and returning, all sorts of things had happened to him where he was and to us where we were -- things unconnected to each other as they had once been when he lived at home. I thought I could see it in his face -- a sense of being somewhere foreign ... a place he knew and yet no longer knew.

And I guess it was the same for those of us who had never left: He was a part of our scenery and yet the scenery had changed somehow -- the same but different.

But after all is said and done, it is nice to see his face.
.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, memories of coming home after the first weeks away in college, never was the same after that . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, Austin Zen Center practionerOctober 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM

    I remember wanting so badly to come home my first year at Christmas break, which wasn't in the plans because of the cost of airfare. I was so homesick they gave in, and then when I got home it didn't "fix" the feelings I was having. I didn't really feel at home at school or in the house in which I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels so different without kids in the house, makes me much more self conscious, which ain't bad, but, um... I'll shut up.

    ReplyDelete