Friday, July 16, 2010

so what? now what?

.
I'm not sure if it's true or simply one of Murphy's laws, but it does seem to me that just about the time anyone gets a job or thought process nailed down, there is no longer the need to perform it.

For example, at a time when I was painting apartments in New York, I positively hated painting shutters. Whether with a spray gun or a brush, there were always drips that formed and needed to be smoothed out. It was attentive, labor-intensive work. My mantra, when painting shutters, always seemed to include George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words You Can't Say On TV.

But one day I realized I had pretty much mastered shutter-painting. Yes, it required attention and yes it was still labor intensive, but the balk had gone out of it. I missed the spots I missed and then went back and corrected them ... it was just shutter-painting. And strangely, the number of apartments in which I had to paint shutters seemed to dwindle down to few or none.

OK, life seemed to say, you know how to do that.

Now what?

Maybe spiritual endeavor is a bit like that -- busting your tail only to wake up one morning and realize, more or less, that you've got that nailed. So what? Now what? And there are those who will parrot, "the way is endless." OK. So what? Now what?

If you've got it right, OK.

If you've got it wrong, OK.

So what?

Now what?
.

3 comments:

  1. Just wait a little while...
    while life works out how best to let you know,
    You only Thought you got it right/wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ask a question; any question
    Say, "I've learned all the lessons ... now what?"
    It should strike you,
    That your true question remains unanswered,
    While chasing thoughts around.

    Questions dissipate like mist
    In the answering light of day.

    "Go wash your bowl."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "so what" and "now what" could be a way of saying "the way is endless."


    Begin again and again and again and again and again .... seems to be the case. So what?

    Goooooooooooood question.

    ReplyDelete