Thursday, February 25, 2010

superlatives

.
An email from a young man today informed me that he believed in spirits and angels and asked me what I thought of that from a Buddhist perspective. "This the the highest belief one could have," he asserted. And further, "I would like to meet someone who believes in bodhisattvas or angels like I do and is not a mere slave of his belief."

Aside from the obvious confusions he faced, I was struck by the touching nature of seeking out a superlative in life.

There is, for example, a Zen-oriented book called, "The Supreme Doctrine." The Jews sometimes refer to themselves as "the chosen." Hitler described blond and blue eyed Aryans as the best. I believe there are several American Indian tribes whose tributes to themselves include the use of the words, "the people." And lots of religious texts I have long since forgotten refer to the "highest" or the "best" or "most complete" or some other superlative designation for a particular way or faith or activity.

It's a curious matter -- superlatives.

And all I can think of is that where there are superlatives, there is ego. I don't mean that as a criticism. Just as an observation that might prove useful the next time a superlative walked into anyone's life. Ego frequently means difficulty and sorrow so maybe superlatives would be worth checking out and digesting a bit.
.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Adam.

    It might be that the 'Supreme Dharma' is a special case in that you have to be the Complete and Thorough Loser to really get it.

    If it's really that good, it must be worth begging for.

    Regards,

    Harry.

    ReplyDelete