Wednesday, June 17, 2009

rainy day

.
In "A Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula LeGuin, there is a scene in which an old wizard and his young apprentice (our hero) are traveling along and then stop to rest. Storm clouds have gathered and it begins to rain. The old wizard, who might, with his powers, easily avert the rain, makes no effort to do so. The younger man wonders why. And there is some talk about the "balance" of things, how unnecessarily disturbing that balance is not a good idea.

I don't know anything about wizards or balance, but I seem to like the idea of doing less about the things others might prefer to do more about. It is hard to find some bright-penny concern. It is as if your dog had wandered away from home ... s/he will return if s/he needs to.

I do sort of miss my dog and the surprises s/he brought into the house.

And I don't even own a dog.
.

3 comments:

  1. As I read the first paragraph, it struck me how much I wanted to be the young apprentice - the hero(ine)! Wow! That'd be so kool!

    And as I noticed this - and then by the time I had finished skimming, I thought I might just be the dog.

    Hush - Don't say a word now, I'm embarrassed enough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! And I wanted to be the Wizard.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol

    I'm sure we can make a deal, Luz - meet me in the backroom

    ReplyDelete